Seems like triathletes have a huge amount of gear that can consume a small warehouse. For first-timers the amount of gear required for the swim, bike, and run, can be daunting. So let’s break it down on a list showing the basics and optional stuff that you may want to bring. Grab a backpack or transition bag to load some of the gear in. Your bike will carry the rest. After the first couple of races you will soon learn what’s needed or not needed, and look like a seasoned athlete in no time.
- Tri suit (usually called your “kit”)
- Swim cap
- Cycling shoes
- Cycling socks
- Sunglasses or clear eye protection
- Water bottles (for frame cages) or hydration pack
- Spare tube or tubes (and/or patch kit)
- Tire levers
- Cyclist’s multi-tool (with Allen wrenches)
- CO2 inflator (with cartridges) or mini-pump
- Running shoes
- Running socks
- Cap or visor
- First-aid items (blister treatment, bandages)
- Medical info/emergency contact card
- Lip balm
- Chamois cream
- Baby wipes (for cleanups) or hand sanitizer
- Race number and documents
- Race belt (for number)
- Performance gels/chews/bars
- Performance beverages or drink mixes
- Handlebar end caps (yes, officials will check to make sure your handlebars have end caps)
- Ear plugs
- Watch, heart rate monitor
- Spare goggles
- Ear plugs
- Floor pump
- Cycling gloves
The weather has been perfect the last couple of weeks here in Acadiana. I’m sure many of you have been taking advantage of the good weather to get outside for your runs and bike rides. And many of you are ready for tri season to begin. I know I am!
To get you ready for your first multisport event, Tri Cajuns will host a spring triathlon camp on March 4, 2017 in New Iberia. You will be coached by certified Ironman coaches and a master swim instructor. There will be plenty of food and door prizes. If you are interested in attending, please sign up. Remember, you must be a member of Tri Cajuns to attend.
Here are some upcoming races, not far from Lafayette, that you may be interested in:
||Opelousas Rotary Duathlon
||Eunice Rotary Zydeco Triathlon
||New Roads, LA
You can register for these races and check out other races on the events calendar at www.cajuntiming.com.
If you have questions about anything multisport related, please let us know. And check out our Facebook page for additional club information, events, and socials.
Did you know Tri Cajuns is currently in 3rd place for the 2016 River Roux Club Challenge? Did you know that Tri Cajuns will have members volunteering at the race and our tent will be set up at the venue? Come join the fun with us on November 12, 2016 and pass a good time! Points are awarded to members who are racing or volunteering this year at River Roux. Here is how it works:
Members racing sign up and enter Tri Cajuns as their club.
Relay teams can sign up as Tri Cajuns too.
Volunteers need to sign up by November 11th. Go to the River Roux website, select “Event”, and “Volunteer”. Sign up for one of the spots. In the comments section, add that you are with Tri Cajuns.
Points are broken down as follows:
- 1 point for every registered participant
- 1 point for every participant for 1st-3rd placing relay team
- 3 extra points for 1st Overall Relay
- 1/2 point for every volunteer (registered on Volunteer Spot by November 11th)
- Extra points for age group placement: 1st Place – 3 points, 2nd Place – 2 points, 3rd Place – 1 point
- Extra points for overall: 1st Place – 6 points, 2nd Place – 5 points, 3rd Place – 4 points
- Extra Points for Masters and Grandmasters – 6 points
- $250 and swag for registered participants and registered volunteers
- Gumbo Pot Trophy
- Bragging Rights
*If you have already registered to race and did not designate a club or training group, please go to the River Roux Triathlon website and contact the race director by email. Let the race director know that you need to sign up with Tri Cajuns Triathlon Club.
Hope to see you there!